Last updated: 25 May 2021
If a customer inserts or swipes their card and chooses ‘Cheque’ or ‘Savings’, the transaction is free for you to process. But if the customer taps their contactless card or device, or swipes or inserts their scheme card and chooses ‘Credit’, the transaction contributes to the Merchant Service Fees charged by your bank. ‘Scheme transactions are passed through third-party connections and include payments made on Visa, Mastercard, UnionPay AMEX, Diner and JCB cards.
When you enable surcharging on your terminal, your terminal will automatically detect when the transaction is a ‘scheme’ transaction and apply a surcharge. If your terminal has Contactless Surcharging enabled, contactless (‘paywave’) transactions will also incur a surcharge.
NOTE: If you have surcharging enabled on your terminal, the present card screen will display a note that says ‘Surcharge may apply’ for all of your Purchase transactions. Contactless surcharging is only available on Android EFTPOS terminals.
To process a purchase transaction with a surcharge added:
- Enter the transaction amount
- Tap Purchase ($amount)
- The purchase amount is displayed on the screen along with the note ‘Surcharge may apply’. Your customer presents their card or device. The graphic on-screen shows customers how to present their card:Carbon Mobile 5 – Customer taps their contactless device or card (Apple Pay, Google Pay, contactless cards) near the centre of the screen, inserts their chip card into the slot at the top of the terminal chip end first with the chip facing up, or swipes the magstripe on their card through the magstripe reader at the bottom of the terminal with the stripe facing down.
T650p – Customer taps their contactless device or card (Apple Pay, Google Pay, contactless cards) on the contactless symbol on the printer roll cover, inserts their chip card into the slot at the bottom of the terminal, or swipes the magstripe on their card through the magstripe reader on the side of the terminal.
- For chip and swipe transactions the customer selects credit account
- The customer is prompted to confirm the surcharge amount
- Customer enters their pin if required
- Your terminal processes the transaction and then displays Approved or Declined
- If a card is inserted, the terminal prompts to remove the card from the chip card slot
- Merchant receipt prints
- Customer selects preferred receipt option
NOTE: To get surcharging enabled on your terminal, call 0800 EFTPOS (0800 338 767, option 4). Our Customer Services team are available 8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday.