Last updated: 26 May 2021
Setting up your terminal
- Select a flat surface for your terminal that is near a power socket so you can easily charge your terminal
- Avoid using the terminal near high heat, dust, humidity, or caustic chemicals
- Avoid using the terminal near sources of high electromagnetic radiation, excessive voltage fluctuation, or strong radio transmission
- Do not use the terminal near water or in the rain
Cleaning your terminal
EFTPOS terminals should only be gently cleaned with water. It’s important that you do not use solvents, detergents, or abrasive cleaners to clean your terminal.
- Always turn the terminal off and unplug from the power source before cleaning
- Clean gently to remove dirt, residue or debris using a lightly water-dampened, clean microfiber cloth
- One or two drops of pH-neutral, non-scrubbing soap may be used
- After cleaning, the terminal may be sanitized using an alcohol-based wipe or appropriate alcohol-based cleaner (approx. 70-90% strength isopropyl alcohol) applied to a microfiber cloth
- Apply gently; do not scrub. Isopropyl alcohol applied to a clean microfiber cloth may be used on touch panel displays but never press hard on displays
- You can purchase isopropyl alcohol wipes from our online EFTPOS shop here
- Once completely dry, reconnect it to power and power up
NEVER SPRAY, COAT OR POUR ANY LIQUID, SANITIZER, OR DISINFECTANT DIRECTLY ONTO THE TERMINAL.
- Never use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents – they can deteriorate plastic and rubber
- Refrain from vigorously scrubbing and shaking the terminal(s) to prevent triggering a tamper alert
How to avoid a tamper error
If the terminal is knocked or dropped heavily or subjected to power surges or excessive water, it may enter a tampered state and become unusable. Please contact us if your terminal displays this error.
Securing your terminal
Your terminal is equipped with built-in security features that are designed to protect your customers’ card data. By implementing the recommendations below, you can help protect your business and your customers from credit and debit card fraud or misuse.
- Always ensure that terminals are secure and under supervision during your business hours
- Ensure that only authorised employees have access to the terminal
- Only allow your terminal to be maintained or replaced by authorised Eftpos New Zealand personnel
- Check that there are no additional cables running from your terminal
- Check that your EFTPOS receipts are printing the correct information for your business
- Ensure that CCTV or other security cameras cannot observe cardholders entering their details into the terminal
Contact our Technical Support team immediately if:
- Your terminal is missing
- You are approached by any non-Eftpos New Zealand personnel to maintain, replace, or remove your terminal. Our Field Service team wear Eftpos NZ / Verifone uniforms and always carry identification
- Your terminal prints incorrect details on the receipts
- Your terminal has been damaged or tampered with