Get Started with Pay By Link
Pay by Link is an easy and secure way that allows you to receive payments from customers. You will generate a payment link by providing payment details (amount and customer details) in the Verifone Merchant Portal. You can then share the link with your customers through the desired engagement channels (email, SMS or social media platform). When your customers visit the link, they are prompted to complete the payment. After they have completed the payment you can review the payment status and transaction details in the Verifone Merchant Portal under the ‘Payment Links’ page.
In order to start accepting eCommerce transactions, you will need to generate a Secure Card Capture Key.
Note If you are going to perform mail order or telephone order transactions (MOTO) where the cardholder shares their card details and you enter their details on their behalf you will need to use our Virtual Terminal feature.
Pay by Link benefits
- If you do not have an e-commerce solution in-place or are still building your web shop and you need to collect payments from your customers.
- If your business is handling phone transactions in a Call Center, you can accept payments in a secure way, and prevent bank details being shared over the phone.
- If you need to collect payments in addition to web and in-store checkout by accepting payments on multiple channels (Email / Call Center / SMS / Social Media / QR Codes), thus speeding up the transactions.
- If you want to reduce the cart abandonment rates by placing payment links directly in the message sent as a follow-up to customers that left before making a purchase.
- If you want to offer your business customers a simpler and quicker way to pay their invoices and improve your cash flow.
The below shows who can access the Pay by Link function on your Verifone Merchant Portal.
- Merchant Cashier – a merchant cashier user can generate payment links: create, set the payment and the customer details, send the customer the payment link and follow the transaction status.
- Merchant Supervisor – a merchant supervisor can generate and send payment links and initiate a refund.
🚫 No Access:
- Merchant Admin
- Merchant Reviewer
- Merchant User
Using Pay by Link in Verifone Central
To get started, you must log into your Verifone Merchant Portal, navigate to Payment Tools > Pay by Link and click on the Create Payment Link button at the top of the page:
On the next page you will be prompted to enter the following details:
- Your Organisation name and Payment Contract should already be pre-populated.
- 3-D Secure Authentication is enabled by default so Customer Details need to be included so the relevant checks can be made.
- Set the Transaction Amount that you want to request from the customer.
- Set the Link Expiration time to choose for how long a payment link should remain valid. The maximum is 30 days from the time you created the link. Once expired, the payment link cannot be accessed by the customer.
- (optional) If you want to send the link directly to the customer using one of the methods provided you can check Send the link via email or SMS or both. Alternatively, you can copy the link once this step has been completed and send via your preferred channel.
- (optional) Add the Merchant Reference to identify the transaction or link this transaction to an order ID generated by your own inventory system. (Get screenshot of dialogue box)
- Once the configuration has been completed click on “Create payment link” to proceed. (Get screenshot of button)
- You are now redirected back to the Payment Links page. In the next section we’ll go through the steps on how to share the link with your customer.
Sharing the Payment Link
After creating the Payment Link you will need to share it with your customer. You can share it through any channel, the Payment Link is mobile friendly.
- After creating the Payment Link you are redirected to the Payment Links page. You can recognise your Payment Link by the Amount, Merchant Reference, Email or by using the search filters.
- Click on your payment link to view more details.
- Confirm the details of the Payment Link.
- The Link URL is what needs to be shared with the customer so click on the Copy link button.
- The link has now been copied to your clipboard. You can now share the link with your customer through a channel of your choosing. In the next step we will confirm the outcome of the transaction.
Confirmation of payment
The Payment Link history allows you to view if your customer has visited the link, initiated a payment, and the outcome of the transaction. If the payment failed or has expired you can re-enable the link. If the payment has been completed successfully you can View Transaction Details.
Manage Pay by Link transactions
You can choose a transaction from the Payment Links list and click on View Transaction Details to see the Payment Link History (when it was accessed by your customers) and possible Actions to be performed, like refunds.
Other details available by clicking on the Payment Link:
- Transaction status: Not paid / Paid / Failed / Expired
- Link History & Payment link URL
- Link creation and expiration date
- Organisation name
- Payment methods
- Transaction amount
- Customer details & Billing / Shipping Address
- Re-enable link if the link is expired by extending the availability with 24 hours
- Copy link if the transaction was not paid
- Disable link if the transaction will not be paid
- View transaction details if the transaction was paid
- If the transaction failed 3 times, you must create a new payment link.