Offline Mode allows you to process transactions when your terminal can’t connect to the internet. Without an internet connection, your terminal can’t communicate with the payment network to upload your transactions.
Instead, transactions are securely stored on the terminal until connection to the internet is restored.
What you need to know
There are some limits and restrictions applied in Offline Mode:
- The maximum dollar amount allowed per Offline transaction is $300
- The maximum number of Offline transactions allowed is 200
- The maximum dollar amount per terminal while in Offline Mode is $5,000 for credit and/or debit card transactions
- Some cards do not permit multiple Offline Mode transactions on the same terminal in the same Offline session
- Not all transaction types are permitted in Offline Mode. Transactions permitted are:
- Purchase with tip
- Purchase with surcharge
- Not all card types are supported in Offline Mode, e.g. UnionPay, Amex cards and third-party cards like gift cards
- A chip card may override the limits set in the terminal, or even whether an offline transaction is permitted. This depends on what rules the card issuer has applied
An Offline transaction is only authorised if ALL of the following conditions are met:
- The cardholder must be present at the time of the transaction
- The customer signs for the transaction and the signature is comparable with the signature on the card, or if prompted, the PIN is entered
IMPORTANT: We are not responsible for any loss of stored transactions should the terminal malfunction prior to uploading the transactions to the Verifone Network.